IKEA Sustainability Report FY18
Making sustainable living more inspiring and affordable.
Today, the IKEA Sustainability Report FY18* is released – reporting progress from across the IKEA value chain and franchise system towards the commitment to become People & Planet Positive.
“We know that sustainable living often is a luxury for the few. We want to use our impact and scale to reach the many people with inspiring and affordable choices within the limits of the planet,” says Lena Pripp-Kovac, Head of Sustainability, Inter IKEA Group.
Some highlights from the financial year 2018 include:
- New circular design principles and services – designing new products to be repurposed, repaired, reused, resold or recycled
- More renewable and recycled materials – during FY18, 60% of the IKEA range was based on renewable materials and 10% contained recycled materials. The ambition is 100% renewable and recycled materials by 2030
- Increasing renewable energy - 18,240 solar panels installed on IKEA Industry production unit in Portugal - enough to power 2,700 homes
- The number of home solar customers grew and customers saved money on their energy bills. Today, home solar is offered in six IKEA markets**
- Sourcing responsibly - 100% of cotton (same as FY17) and 85% (up from 77% in FY17) of wood from more sustainable sources***
- Developing new innovative products such as the MISTELN – a water saving mist nozzle that can reduce water use by more than 90%
- Launch of three collections in partnership with social enterprises
- More plant-based food – veggie hot dog was launched globally, it has 85% smaller climate footprint than the normal hot dog
- Commitment to phase out single-use plastic products from the IKEA range by 2020
Find more examples of our progress in the IKEA Sustainability Report FY18. The report shows progress from across the value chain, including Inter IKEA Group, franchisees and suppliers in the three focus areas of the IKEA.
People & Planet Positive 2030 strategy, launched in June 2018:
- Inspiring and enabling healthy and sustainable living
- Transforming IKEA into a circular and climate positive business
- Being fair and equal
Press Release Download
Inter IKEA Group and Inter IKEA SystemsIKEA FranchisingNetherlandsmedia.email@example.com+31-62 124 0618