Our view on climate positive
Climate change is a visible reality. At IKEA, we are committed to do our part to limit climate change by converting our business and become climate positive by 2030.
The IKEA climate footprint and responsibility stretches across the entire lifecycle of our products – from the extraction of materials, the stores and touchpoints where we meet our customers to the use and end-of-life of our products.
IKEA is tackling climate change on all levels of the business, across the entire value chain. To become climate positive means reducing moregreenhouse gas emissions than our total value chain emits while growing the IKEA business. We will not rely on carbon offsetting but store carbon in land, plants and products.
We have a big responsibility – and an opportunity – to make a positive difference and contribute towards limiting global warming. We can have a huge positive impact on people, planet and society through our size and full value chain approach.
Partnerships and collaborations are cornerstones
Only a combination of bold targets and actions can accelerate the big changes – but we are optimistic about the future. From our history, we know that challenges can become opportunities and lead to great innovations.
A change will only be possible if we engage and work together with others, share knowledge and co-create solutions. Throughout the history of IKEA, partnerships and collaborations have always been a cornerstone of the IKEA way of working, and the work to become climate positive is no exception.
We rely on collaboration and a close partnership with our more than 1,000 suppliers and many millions of customers.
How will we become climate positive?
- Becoming truly circular and make sure all products are designed from the very beginning to be repurposed, repaired, reused, resold and recycled, and provide circular services supporting these flows.
- Striving towards 100% renewable energy throughout the entire IKEA value chain.
- Storing carbon in land, plants and products. We will explore and improve ways to store carbon through forest and agricultural practices. We will not purchase carbon offset certificates but ensure that carbon remains stored in our products longer through the circular economy.
- Increasing the plant-based choices in the IKEA food offer, such as the veggie dog, the plant-based meatball and plant-based soft ice.
- Support and collaborate with direct suppliers to reduce their total footprint, not just the manufacturing of IKEA products.
- Inspire and enable the many people to live a better life within the limits of the planet, where enabling customers to save energy and generate renewable energy at home is an important step. Two examples of how we will do this are through the IKEA solar home offer and by further improving the LED lighting range. We know that today, the sustainable choice is often a luxury for the few. We want it to be affordable and for the many people.
Our responsibility covers the entire IKEA value chain
We recognise that our climate footprint and responsibility stretch beyond the IKEA operations and across the entire lifecycle of our products – from sourcing of materials, manufacturing and transport to how the products are used in homes all over the world until the products’ end-of-life.
We support and partner with our almost 1,000 direct suppliers to reduce their total footprint, which goes well beyond the manufacturing of IKEA products.
Through this, we are determined to make a positive contribution.
The IKEA long term responsibility
We will reduce our climate footprint in absolute terms, using a science-based approach and by working together with our partners, suppliers and customers around the world.
To succeed, we will:
- Eliminate greenhouse gas emissions (GHG): We will reduce GHG emissions from the IKEA value chain in absolute terms by working with our partners, suppliers and customers around the world. Where possible, we aim to eliminate them.
- Store carbon in land, plants and products: We will explore and improve ways to store carbon through forest and agricultural practices. We will not purchase carbon offset certificates but ensure that carbon remains stored in our products longer through the circular economy.
- Go beyond IKEA: We will address a larger climate footprint than our own value chain by collaborating with our customers, suppliers and partners to reduce their total GHG emissions.
- Take action together: We will lead by example and engage with others to advocate for policy changes and inspire action to achieve a low-carbon society.
We are still only at the beginning of this exciting journey, and we invite everybody to join.
IKEA Range and SupplyProduct Development, Design, Production and SupplySwedenpressoffice.firstname.lastname@example.org+46 732 321300